The solos are coming!

Posted by Nik On 3:23 AM

Well as you know, I've been spending a lot of time trying to better my guitar playing. This means solos. And lot's of 'em. Really I've been able to hold my own playing rhythm for quite some time now, and frankly, I'm starting to get bored with it. But all this lead work is a whole new beast. I'm working with a lot of Metallica songs currently, and for a few reasons:

  1. Kirk Hammett is the man. And his solos are totally bad-ass.
  2. I'm already super familiar with their guitar style; I'm already an expert on their whole rhythm catalog.
  3. Playing the solos at regular speed can't be any tougher than playing the rhythms at 120%.
I'm now comfortable playing through Fade to Black, Orion, and The Unforgiven. But I'm not perfect on any of them yet. So, periodically, when I feel I've made some vast improvement on one, I'll probably put up a new video. We'll see though, once I start to get more songs down pat, It'll be an awful lot of videos.
The goal for now is to be able to play those 3, plus 3 more by this time next month. I know, I know, that sounds like a long time, for someone who sits home and plays so many hours a day. But that's a lot of notes to learn. Three whole solos? And to get these 3 down perfect? I think a month may actually be optimistic.

0 comments